Skip to content
open navigation

Student Accounts

adirondack chairs by pond

Your student account statement reflects the charges and payments at Southern Vermont College. The student account statement is your bill, which is mailed monthly as long as there is activity or a balance due on your account. We view the maintenance of the student account statement as the student’s responsibility. Federal Law (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act) and SVC policies affect the information that we can provide to parents. Therefore, it is the student who must initiate parent billing or request a refund. These requests need to be made in writing to the Office of Student Financial Services. We will cooperate with students and families to the fullest extent.

Current students can view their current balance at any time through the SVC Student Portal.

Student Accounts Forms:

Contact Information

Office Hours: Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Mailing Address: Office of Student Financial Services, Southern Vermont College, 982 Mansion Drive, Bennington, VT 05201
Telephone: 802-447-6366
Fax: 802-447-6329

Tuition and Fees


Explanation of Fees

Student Activity Fee – The Student Activity fee is a mandatory fee charged to all students. This fee funds events, programs, and services.

Enrollment Deposits are nonrefundable.

Departments who may post charges to your account
Library Fines
SVC Library Director: 802-447-6312
Reserve items, textbooks, and interlibrary loans are subject to overdue fines. Students may also be charged replacement fees for lost or damaged items, or for items not returned in a timely manner. All library charges are handled through Student Accounts. For details, see our full policy. Please contact the Library Director with any questions.

Parking Fines

Director of Campus Safety: 802-447-6393
Call with questions on parking regulations and violations.

Conduct and Disciplinary Fines: 802-447-6323
Student Life Office
Call with questions on conduct and disciplinary fines.

Housing/Dorm Damage Fines: 802-447-4013
Director of Residence Life
Call with questions on dorm damage charges.

Information Technology Charges: 802-681-2848
Director of Information Technology
Call for questions regarding IT charges.

Student Account Statement Credit Balance-Refund Policy

Refunds may only be requested by the student (student signature is required). The Refund Request Form is available through the Office of Student Financial Services, and the Student Accounts Forms web page and must be completed in full before a refund will be processed. Illegible forms will not be processed. Refunds will be reviewed and processed only after the completed request form is received and a credit balance appears on the student account statement. Please allow 2 weeks for refund processing. The credit will appear on the student account statement.

Although the Office of Student Financial Services processes refunds as quickly as possible, students should not plan on using their refund check to pay their rent or living expenses if living in an off-campus residence. The Office of Student Financial Services cannot guarantee that a refund check will be ready by a student’s rent or bill deadlines. For in-office pick-ups, refund checks are available weekdays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Students should direct any questions regarding the status of their refund check to

Refunds will only be issued to the student, with exception to those students who have Federal Parent PLUS loans, or TMS payment plans on account. In those instances, refunds will first be issued to the holders of the PLUS Loan or TMS Payment Plan, but not exceeding the amount applied to the Student Account Statement.

Students who receive Federal Financial Aid: If a student should decide to withdraw  from class(es) after a semester begins, and have not completed more than 60% of the semester, they can be subject to loss in Federal Funds. Please refer to the Office of Student Financial Service’s section on refund calculations for more information. A withdrawal from class may result in a balance owed to SVC. It is the student’s responsibility to contact the Office of Student Financial Services to pay their balance due.

Questions regarding federal Pell, SEOG, Parent Plus loans, Federal Stafford loans, or alternative loans should be directed to the Office of Student Financial Services.

Title IV Federal Student Aid Authorization

All students receiving Title IV Federal Student Aid (which includes: Federal Direct Stafford Loans, PLUS Loans, Pell Grants, and/or SEOG) are required to complete the Title IV Federal Student Aid Authorization form. Federal financial aid regulations require that we automatically refund, within 14 days, any credit balance which may be created when the Title IV aid is disbursed to the student account and it exceeds semester charges.

SVC offers the flexibility to maintain credit balances on the student account to pay for subsequent semester charges or to request a refund at a later date. What this means to the student is that the credit balance will remain on account to cover charges outside of the normal tuition and fees before a refund is issued. If the student chooses to not exercise this option, they will be responsible for paying fees, such as parking tickets, library fines, etc., out of pocket. The federal financial aid regulations allow SVC the ability to provide these options to students if written authorization is received from the student (or parent in the case of PLUS loans). If the student would like the ability to handle their Title IV funds this way, they should complete and return the Title IV form to the Office of Student Financial Services. With a PLUS Loan, parent borrowers must sign the form separately. This form is included in the student’s initial billing packet or can be found online in the Office of Student Financial Services section.

Refund of Tuition, Room, and Board

Students dismissed by the College during the semester for academic or disciplinary reasons are not eligible for a refund of tuition or room and board charge.

Refunds are based on the official Withdrawal Leave of Absence date (approved). Students who officially Withdraw or take a Leave of Absence are allowed a refund according to the schedule below*:

•    100% refunded from the first day of class through the last date of Add/Drop at 5:00 p.m.
•    75% refunded seven (7) calendar days after the Add/Drop date at 5:00 p.m.
•    50% refunded fourteen (14) calendar days after the Add/Drop date at 5:00 p.m.

On the 15th calendar day after Add/Drop there will be no refunds of Tuition or Room and Board charges.

Information regarding the Withdrawal/Medical Leave of Absence policy and procedures can be found in the College Catalog.

*Approved medical withdrawal room and board refunds will follow the above refund schedule; however, tuition will be prorated.

Textbook Vouchers

Textbooks are the student’s responsibility. SVC offers textbook vouchers in order to help assist students with purchasing their textbooks in a timely manner. Students, whose pending financial aid is scheduled to exceed the charges on their account, are eligible for these vouchers. A textbook voucher can be requested by completing the Book Voucher form with the financial obligation worksheet prior to returning it to the Student Accounts Office.

1098T Information

Information regarding the amounts shown on the 1098T is located on the back of the 1098T form. These amounts are reported to the IRS.

If more information is required regarding how much was paid to the College for tuition, a Student Account summary can be requested from the Office of Student Financial Services.

SVC is unable to provide any information in regards to tax preparation. Please refer to the IRS website for more information.

Back to top