SERGEANT OF CAMPUS SAFETY
Southern Vermont College (SVC) is recruiting for a Sergeant of Campus Safety. This is a full-time 12-month nonsworn position under the general supervision of the Director of Campus Safety, or his/her designee. This is a “hands on” working position and the incumbent is expected to provide direct campus safety services as well as supervise. The ideal candidate will be an innovative and progressive self-starter with excellent supervision and problem-solving skills and the ability to think outside the box while enforcing all College policies including conduct, parking, and speed enforcement. The ideal candidate will forge and maintain positive and professional relationships with people from diverse backgrounds in all College departments and Divisions and serve on campus-wide committees. This is a non-exempt position with overtime available.
Specific responsibilities include, but may not be limited to the following:
- Train, supervise and evaluate performance of Campus Safety Officers, transportation staff and work study students;
- Supervise shift operations and personnel while assisting with campus safety functions such as traffic & pedestrian control, parking & transportation services;
- Conduct criminal & Title IX investigations; write incident, investigation and other related reports and review the reports of subordinates;
- Plan and implement campus safety operations/programs as assigned;
- Assist with the College’s ID card, access control, video monitoring, and Guard Tour systems;
- Participate in the conduct review system for students;
- Remain current with Clery/Title IX/VAWA mandates; assist with compiling and publishing campus crime statistics and annual report in accordance with Clery Act requirements;
- Oversee SVC’s Safety Committee that addresses workplace safety & OSHA requirements; conduct fire and lockdown drills each
- Associates degree in criminal justice, public administration, or related field required, plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience in safety, security or law enforcement with at least 1 of those years at a supervisory level.
- Ability to attain and maintain certification in Basic First Aid/CPR/AED
- Ability to successfully complete all FEMA training
- Flexibility to work a wide variety of shifts including day, late night/early morning hours, holidays, weekends, unexpected overtime and mandatory work assignments and meetings;
- Possess a minimum of Incident Command System (ICS 100), and National Incident Management System (NIMS) 700 certifications;
- Understand and subscribe to the principles of community policing;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, and the ability to work well with all members of a diverse campus community and outside stakeholders;
- Computer proficiency with Word & Excel required
- Valid driver’s license
To apply, e-mail a letter of interest, current resume, and the names and telephone numbers of three professional references to Human Resources at email@example.com Application review will begin immediately. Deadline for applications is 09-22-2018. Southern Vermont College is committed to having an inclusive campus community, and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military service status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org