Southern Vermont College (SVC) seeks a creative and enthusiastic Student Affairs professional to join the institution as a Residence Director (RD) in January 2019. SVC is a private liberal arts college in Bennington, Vermont with a student population of approximately 400 students and serves 300 students in two, distinctly different, coeducational, suite-style residence areas.
The RD is expected to be an active and visible member of our residence communities in this full-time, 12-month, live-in position. S/he will be responsible for establishing and maintaining a living-learning atmosphere conducive to personal growth and academic achievement. S/he must be a creative problem-solver as well as a patient, dedicated, and motivated individual. A successful RD will have the ability to work with diverse populations, adapt to change, and have knowledge of and commitment to maintaining a student development focus in their residence area.
A successful RD will exercise sound judgment; maintain a professional attitude and demeanor in all situations; have excellent attention to detail and high accountability for meeting deadlines; have the ability to think clearly amid changing priorities and circumstances; and maintain high level of confidentiality.
Reporting to the Dean of Students, the RD’s responsibilities include the following:
- Shared responsibility for all building management operations including opening and closing the residence areas, key management, room changes, health & safety inspections, damage assessments and maintenance requests;
- Selecting, training, supervising, and evaluating the Residence Life paraprofessional staff;
- Work cohesively with the Coordinator of Student Engagement;
- Providing personal and behavioral advisement/counseling and group mediation;
- Handling of incident and crisis management and participating in the student Conduct Review Process;
- Participating in College-wide events such as Admission events, Convocation, Commencement, ;
- Participating in on-call rotation; and
- Coordinating special departmental projects and other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications include:
- A Bachelor’s degree with experience in residence life; a Master’s degree and at least two years of experience in residence life is preferred;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Excellent interpersonal skills; and
- A valid driver’s license with a clean driving record in order to drive College vehicles when necessary.
The individual selected will receive a salary, apartment-style housing, full meal plan, parking, telecommunication package (local phone service, cable TV, and internet), support for professional development, and an employee comprehensive benefits package.
To Apply: Submit a letter of interest, résumé, and full contact information (including email addresses) for at least three professional references to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. Application review will begin immediately.
Southern Vermont College is committed to having an inclusive campus community, and, as an Equal Opportunity Employer, does not discriminate in its hiring or employment practices on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military service status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com