Skip to content
open navigation

Other Scholarship and Grant Opportunities

Federal, State, Institutional and Outside Organizations

Federal Pell Grant

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor’s or a professional degree. Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award was $5,645 for the 2013–14 award year (July 1, 2013, to June 30, 2014). For the 2014–15 award year (July 1, 2014, to June 30, 2015), the maximum award was $5,730. The amount you get, though, will depend on your financial need, the cost of education, your status as a full time or part time student and your plans to attend school for a full academic year or less. You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time.

Effective on July 1, 2012, you can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent (roughly six years). You’ll receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant

The SEOG is a federal grant that is awarded through Southern Vermont College to supplement aid received from other sources. The U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid provides the College with a limited allocation annually, which is then awarded to students with “extraordinary need” on a first-come, first-served basis. Students who will receive Federal Pell Grants and have the most financial need will receive an SEOG grant first. The SEOG does not need to be repaid. The SEOG program is administered directly by the financial aid office at each participating school and is a campus based program. Amounts range from $100 to $4,000.

This awarding process works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student. So, make sure you apply for federal student aid as early as you can. The deadline is March 1st.

State Incentive Grant

Students who are residents of VT, CT, MA, RI, NH, ME, or PA may be eligible to receive grants from their home states that are transferable to Southern Vermont College. Deadlines for state grants are noted on the FAFSA application.

Vermont State Incentive Grant

Vermont residents are eligible to apply for a grant from the Vermont Student Assistance Corporation (VSAC). The grant is awarded based on need. Applications can be obtained from high school guidance offices, from the College, or by calling VSAC financial aid services at 1-877-563-6076 (toll-free) or by calling 1-800-642-3177. E mail

Organizational Scholarships

Organizations such as Kiwanis, Knights of Columbus, Elks, and Dollars for Scholars, Garden Clubs and Rotary Clubs provide scholarships. Students are urged to inquire in their area and with their High School Guidance Office about the availability of these types of scholarships.

Veterans Educational Benefits

Eligible veterans may receive Veterans Administration Educational Benefits while attending Southern Vermont College. The Registrar serves as the College representative for the Veteran’s Administration (VA) and completes the Enrollment Certifications for all veterans enrolled at Southern Vermont College. Detailed information may be found on the Web site and from the Commanding Officer of your unit.

Back to top