Summer Civic Engagement Institute
The Summer Civic Engagement Institute (SCEI) at Southern Vermont College is a five-day, leadership development workshop for rising high school juniors and seniors. The focus of the Institute is to work with student leaders to build an understanding of civic engagement, community development, and democratic leadership while participating in community service in Bennington, Vermont.
SCEI workshops are designed to be educational and provide students with leadership development skills to bring back to their high schools. Workshop topics include discussions on community development, positive social change, social justice, political engagement, fighting apathy, and diversity. Students will graduate with a greater depth of understanding of service and will gain perspective and insight into community engagement.
There is an application process and a fee that pays for housing, meals, and fun evening activities students can participate in after the day's work is done.
If you are a high school junior or senior, or a parent/guardian of a high school junior or senior and are interested in participating in SCEI, download the application below.
For questions or concerns or to find out more about SCEI, please feel free to contact Corie Steinke, Civic Engagement Coordinator, at email@example.com or via phone at 802-447-4667.
Download the application form:
Instructor and Co-Chair Tammy Kenny, MS, MST, Division of Science and Technology.
- Nursing Chair to Serve n VT Board of Nursing Education Committee
- Criminal Justice Students Tour Albany Sheriff's Department
- "Spirit of Giving"
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Sponsors Toy and Clothing Drive
- Criminal Justice Students Witness the Law at Albany County Court
- President Gross's Farewell Message
- Op-ed by President Gross in Bennington Banner: "A president receives a gift"
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG: "Can Civic Engagement Help Millennials Get Jobs?"
- SPRING CLASSES
- President Gross's Comment in NationalJournal: "Civic Engagement..."
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President