Is the Learning Differences Support Program Right for You?
Applicants considering the Southern Vermont College Learning Differences Support Program (LDSP) should be aware of the following points when deciding whether the LDSP is appropriate for their needs:
• Applicants to the program must submit a written statement from a qualified psychologist verifying that a disability exists and identifying the nature of the disability.
• Participants in the program should have at least average WAIS scores in the areas of reasoning and conceptual ability and a profile which suggests that they have the ability to succeed in college despite language-based disabilities and/or other deficit areas.
• Documented attainment of at least a 9th-grade level of reading comprehension is optimal for academic success.
• Participants should typically expect 30-minute tutoring sessions no more than two to three times a week.
• Participants needing a reduced course load may take four classes and still be considered full-time students.
• Ours is not a comprehensive program. We do not monitor medications, read exams to students, or assist with activities for daily living.
• Mental-health services at the College are available on a limited basis. Students who require long-term assistance are referred to mental-health providers in the Bennington community at the student's expense.
The Southern Vermont College Office of Admissions does not consider information regarding a student's disability in admissions decisions; nonetheless, the College strongly recommends that applicants with disabilities contact the Director of the Learning Differences Program to understand whether the College and the LDSP can meet their needs.
Melissa North, Instructor, Division of Nursing.
- SPRING OPEN HOUSE: April 18
- SVC and PAVE Sponsor Events on Violence Awareness: April 21 & 24
- "Flirting with Danger" Documentary: April 22
- Edible Book Fest has been CANCELLED
- "Eight Ten's" - short 10-minute plays: April 24 & 25
- 2015 Sarnoff Speech Contest: May 3
- Honors Convocation: April 29
- COMMENCEMENT 2015 SCHEDULE