Alcohol and Drug Policy
The fundamental purpose of Southern Vermont College is to maintain an environment that encourages the pursuit and dissemination of knowledge. Therefore, possession or consumption of alcohol in any location not specifically authorized by the college or the possession or consumption of any illegal drugs on Southern Vermont College property is strictly prohibited and may be grounds for immediate suspension or dismissal of students, faculty members, administrators, or other staff. Our Campus Safety Office may also notify the local police department of anyone in violation of local or state drug or alcohol laws, and arrests may be made. These laws include: possession, sale or trafficking of illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia, possession of alcohol by persons under 21, providing alcohol to a minor, driving under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, or possession of prescription drugs not in their original packaging and in the possession of someone other than the original person for whom the prescription was written.
The Campus Safety Office, in coordination with the Residence Life Office and the Director of Counseling, will establish and maintain a program of education designed to help all members of the community avoid involvement with drugs and alcohol. These programs will:
- Provide a system of current, accurate information on the health risks and symptoms of alcohol and drug use.
- Promote and support institutional activity programs that discourage alcohol and drug use.
- Establish a relationship with outside agencies for the purposes of education,
treatment, and referral.
- Include information about drug and alcohol abuse for family members in orientation programs. Prescription drug use will also be addressed.
- Support and encourage faculty in incorporating alcohol and drug education into the curriculum where appropriate.
Assistant Professor Jebediah Gorham, McCormick Division of Business
- President attends National Center for Learning & Civic Engagement meeting in Denver
- Football and Higher Education: Presidents Need to Speak Up and Speak Out
- SVC Mourns the Passing of Campus Safety's Mark Poirier
- Business Faculty Member Recognized by NCAA
- NEW Computed Tomography Certificate Program
- Gregg Swain, Psy.D. and Author, Named to SVC Board
- INSIDE HIGHER ED: "The Bookstore Curriculum"
- SVC President to Return to Washington, D.C.
- Ordering Commencement Photos and DVDs