One Day Service Programs
Saturday of Service
Each semester, students, staff, and faculty at Southern Vermont College are invited to volunteer with community partners in Bennington. Community service projects range in duties from raking to painting, visiting with clients to socializing with animals, and indoor and outdoor opportunities. A variety of on and off campus opportunities are also offered. Check out the Day of Service pictures below:
Previous Saturday of Service partners have included:
- Bennington Housing Authority
- One World Conservation Center
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Bennington County
- Second Chance Animal Center
- Bennington Museum
If you are a community partner interested in inviting SVC community members to volunteer at your organization for an upcoming Saturday of Service, please e-mail email@example.com. Fall Saturday of Service typically takes place in October or early November and Spring Saturday of Service takes place in mid-April.
Senior Citizens prom
In spring semester, students are invited to relive senior prom with Bennington Project Independence, Bennington's adult day service center. Students visit BPI and are invited to dance the afternoon away with clients. At the end of the Senior Citizens Prom, a BPI client is crowned prom King and Queen and prom Prince and Princess are awarded to the SVC students determined to be exceptional volunteers for that day.
American Red Cross Blood Drive
Every spring Southern Vermont College partners with the American Red Cross to host an on campus blood drive. Taking place in the Mountaineer Athletic Center, SVC provides a site for the students, staff, and faculty, along with the entire Bennington community, to donate blood to the American Red Cross. The blood drive also provides an opportunity for our health care majors to be involved in service by providing opportunities for canteen, registration, and donor care volunteers.
Assistant Professor, Lynda Sinkiewich, The Hunter Division of Humanities
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin
- Sarah Lampro Defies Death Valley for 100-Mile JDRF Bike Ride
- "Wonder" Focus of Talk by Elem. Teacher Sam Drazin
- President Gross's HuffPost: "Rinse and and Repeat Does Not Work for College Admissions..."
- NCAA Approves Athletic Consortium for Bennington College and SVC