Inspiration to Innovation Lecture Series Begins
September 18, 2009
Writer, storyteller and photographer Kevin O’Hara inaugurated the 2009-2010 Southern Vermont College lecture series with an address on Tuesday, Sept. 22, entitled “Around Ireland with a Donkey.” His talk was based on his book, “Last of the Donkey Pilgrims,” chronicling his eight-month, 1,720-mile journey around the coast of Ireland.
Free and open to the public, the lecture took place in the Everett Theatre in the college's Everett Mansion at 2:45 p.m. A book signing and reception followed in the Burgdorff Gallery at which time audience members may continue the discussion with O’Hara. “Last of the Donkey Pilgrims” will be available for purchase at the reception.O’Hara will also talk about his new book, “A Lucky Irish Lad,” to be released in February 2010.
A psychiatric nurse at Berkshire Medical Center for 25 years, O’Hara has read on WAMC in Albany, WBUR in Boston, and has held performances throughout New England. O’Hara is also a columnist for The Berkshire Eagle.
The lecture series, with the theme of “From Inspiration to Innovation” continues on Thursday, Dec. 3, when cultural critic Dr. Henry Louis Gates, Jr., Alphonse Fletcher University Professor and Director of the W.E.B. DuBois Institute for African and African American Research at Harvard University, will deliver a lecture entitled “Genealogy, Genetics and African American History” at Bennington Center for the Arts.
In March 2010, luxury goods designer and entrepreneur Sandra Jordan, owner of the Sandra Jordan Prima Alpaca™, will speak on "Alpaca: From Commodity to Branded Luxury.” Later that month, Annette Gordon-Reed, Pulitzer Prize-winning author of “The Hemingses of Monticello,” will speak on "Presidents, Family, and Culture: Rethinking History."
Assistant Professor Jebediah Gorham, McCormick Division of Business
- VIRTUAL BOOKSTORE FOR FALL SEMESTER
- Gregg Swain, Psy.D. and Author, Named to SVC Board
- Marine Leads SVC Program for Vets
- CTL Director Named National Endowment for Humanities Scholar
- President's HuffPost on Reforming Student Loans
- Hear President Gross on Texas Public Radio re: Student Debt Options
- INSIDE HIGHER ED: "The Bookstore Curriculum"
- SVC President to Return to Washington, D.C.
- Ordering Commencement Photos and DVDs
- Tom Otero Heads Newly-Formed Women's Lacrosse Program