Southern Vermont College Now Offers Dual Enrollment for High School Students
July 8, 2009
A Vermont State Colleges’ program that allows high school students to earn college credit while they are still in school or newly graduated is now being offered by Southern Vermont College, a private college in Bennington. The Dual Enrollment program offers vouchers to qualifying high school students to take up a college course at a growing number of colleges, including SVC, through a partnership agreement.
SVC President Karen Gross called the Dual Enrollment Program a win-win for academically prepared high school students. “Dual Enrollment reduces the time and costs it takes to get a college degree, while challenging students with a college-level curriculum,” she said. Course tuition for Vermont students is subsidized through the State of Vermont’s Next Generation Initiative, pending available funds. Course fees and lab fees are additional and must be paid by the student’s family.
Gross said she looks forward to welcoming high school students to the college. “We are delighted to have SVC be their first collegiate experience; we take that responsibility seriously, working to ensure that students appreciate the power of higher education and the importance of completing their undergraduate education as a gateway to the workforce,” she added.
Students interested in the Dual Enrollment program at SVC should contact their guidance counselor or the SVC registrar, James Frederick, 802-447-6324 or email@example.com. Class sizes can be limited, so early enrollment is advised. For more information on Dual Enrollment at SVC, click here. For more information about the program in general, visit www.vsc.edu and click on special programs.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin