Ben Patten to Receive Distinguished Alumni Award at Southern Vermont College
May 5, 2008
(BENNINGTON, Vt.) – Veteran radio announcer Ben Patten of Hoosick Falls, N.Y., will receive the Southern Vermont College Distinguished Alumni Award during the College’s 81st Commencement Exercises on Sunday, May 18. The Distinguished Alumni Award is given at Commencement to an alumna or alumnus of Southern Vermont College or its predecessor, St. Joseph College, in recognition of a combination of career, community service and personal achievements.
In 1984, Patten was the valedictorian of his class and graduated from Southern Vermont College, with a bachelor’s degree in Communications Management. During his time at SVC, Patten was a tutor; a member of the baseball, basketball and soccer teams; and a resident assistant before residence halls existed on campus.
For the past 20 years, Patten has been in the communications industry. Currently, he is the co-host of WKLI’s “Jay and Ben Magic in The Morning Show” on Magic 100.9 FM in Albany, N.Y.
Patten is a former member of the Village Board of Trustees in Hoosick Falls, N.Y. He has been a religious education teacher, a lector at his church and is the administrative assistant for the Executive Office of Catholic Charities Central Office for the Diocese of Albany. Patten currently serves as the Bennington Battle Day Parade emcee in August for the Bennington Fire Department and has coached local youth in soccer and girls’ softball. He also donates his time to worthy organizations including the Ronald McDonald House of Albany, The Regional Food Bank of Northeastern New York and Vanderheyden Hall in Wynantskill, N.Y.
Patten has been a member of the SVC/SJC Alumni Association, including four years as vice chair. He was inducted into the College’s Athletic Hall of Fame in 2003 and was the “voice of the Mountaineers,” serving as PA announcer for the men’s and women’s basketball games for more than nine years.
For more information about the Southern Vermont College Distinguished Alumni Award or the College’s 81st Commencement, contact the Communications Office at 802-447-6388 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community