High School Juniors and Seniors: Practice Leadership Development Skills at SVC this Summer
June 4, 2014
Southern Vermont College (SVC) is offering a Summer Civic Engagement Institute (SCEI) for rising high school juniors and seniors from July 20 to 25. The five-day, on-campus workshop will be run by the College’s Office of Civic Engagement. The program aims to build an understanding of civic engagement, community development and democratic leadership while participating in community service in Bennington, Vermont.
Workshop topics include discussions on community development, positive social change, social justice, political engagement, diversity and fighting apathy. Students will graduate with a greater depth of understanding of service and will gain perspective and insight into community engagement, all knowledge they can bring back and share at their own high schools.
Students will stay on campus in a residence hall and participate in planned activities, such as trips to the movies, bowling, mini golf and team building.
High school juniors and seniors entering the 2014-2015 academic year are eligible to apply. Applications can be downloaded at www.svc.edu/student/scei.html or requested from SVC’s Office of Civic Engagement Coordinator Corie Steinke at 802-447-4667 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Once the application has been approved, a $400 registration fee will be required upon arrival.
Sara Diane Nolan, MSW
Adjunct Faculty, The Donald Everett Axinn Division of Social Sciences
- Athletics Celebrates at Annual Awards Banquet
- President Evans a Special Guest and Moderates a Symposium at Inauguration of Franklin College's President
- Sign up Now for Online or On-Campus Summer Classes
- Veteran Journalist Mike Donoghue '71 to be Commencement Speaker
- SVC Granted Approval for Online Nursing BSN Program
- David Evans Inaugurated as Ninth President of SVC
- Introducing The Good Neighbor Scholarship for Students in Area Communities