Southern Vermont College Announces Addition of DIII Women's Lacrosse, JV Men's Basketball
February 13, 2014Southern Vermont College is excited to announce the addition of an NCAA Division III women’s lacrosse program and a junior varsity men’s basketball team, both for the 2014-15 school year.
Women’s lacrosse will be the 11th varsity program offered by SVC. The choice of women’s lacrosse hopes to feed off the growing popularity of the sport, notably on the girls’ side at the high school level throughout Vermont; 32 high schools in the state currently offer girls’ lacrosse, as well as those in the nearby New York and Massachusetts areas.
“Women’s lacrosse will create athletic opportunities for female students, consistent with our nation’s effort to give real meaning to Title IX,” said SVC President Karen Gross.
SVC will join New England Collegiate Conference members Bay Path College, Becker College, Daniel Webster College, Elms College, Mitchell College, Regis College, and Wheelock College in women’s lacrosse competition. 2014 will mark the second year of the sport within the NECC.
The addition of a junior varsity men’s basketball team will help further the advancement of the SVC varsity men’s program, supporting head coach Dan Engelstad’s current crew. The team will compete against junior colleges, community colleges and other junior varsity teams of four-year Division III institutions.
“We’re really excited to add the junior varsity program,” commented Engelstad. “It’s going to be an amazing benefit to our team, and we look forward to competing in the region against other j.v. programs and prep schools. This is a great way to develop players through our system while giving our guys an additional opportunity to garner game-time experience during the season.”
A search is underway for a women’s lacrosse coach to head the new program. Interested candidates can apply at svc.edu/about/employ.html.
Anyone interested in either sport at SVC can go to svcathletics.com or contact Michael McDonough, Director of Athletics, at email@example.com.
Southern Vermont currently offers varsity teams in men’s & women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s & women’s soccer, men’s & women’s volleyball, baseball, and softball. The last athletic expansion for the College was the addition of men’s volleyball for the spring of 2006.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin