Barbara Ackerman Art Exhibit "Histories" at Southern Vermont College Gallery
January 11, 2014
An exhibit of paintings by Bennington artist Barbara Ackerman, entitled “Histories,” is currently on display at Southern Vermont College’s Burgdorff Gallery through February 21. The artist will be available at a reception on Saturday, January 25, from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. in the Gallery, which is free and open to the public.
Ackerman’s Master of Fine Arts thesis exhibit, “Histories,” includes different perspectives from personal history and a visual influence from her trip to the American Southwest. While in the American Southwest, Ackerman was moved by the landscapes and exposed geologic history of the earth. Ackerman has remarked that the spirituality of the area seemed to exude both the suffering of the Native Americans who inhabited the region and their love of their natural surroundings. Ackerman’s artwork underscores the conflicting responses to the striking scenery and collective history of Native Americans permeating the ground.
Ackerman’s mediums have progressed through pastel on paper, to acrylic and mixed media on board, and back to paper with acrylic. Her recent work incorporates new techniques developed through experimentation and shows her enthusiasm for both paint and drawing mediums.
Ackerman received a B.S. degree in Art Education from the University of Vermont where she studied painting with Frank Hewitt and has completed the M.F.A program at Johnson State College/Vermont Studio Center in Johnson, Vt. She exhibits regularly at Southern Vermont College, Southern Vermont Arts Center and has shown her work at Bennington Museum, Vermont Studio Center, The Dragonfly on Martha’s Vineyard, Puffins in Watch Hill, and The South Street Cafe in Bennington.
For more information on Ackerman’s exhibit, contact Southern Vermont College Professor Greg Winterhalter at 802-447-6316 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- President Gross's Article in NEJHE, "Warren Recommendation on Student Debt:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community