SVC Student Jamie Cousineau Named Outstanding Tutor by the Learning Assistance Association of New England
November 22, 2013
Southern Vermont College (SVC) student Jamie Cousineau of New Haven, Vt., was named “Outstanding Tutor” by the Learning Assistance Association of New England (LAANE) at LAANE’s 30th annual conference in Greenfield, Mass.
Organized in 1983 as a regional affiliate of the National Association for Developmental Education, LAANE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the acceptance, advancement, and improvement of developmental education through research and practice.
Cousineau is a senior majoring in Psychology and a student leader (community advisor). Portrayed as an outstanding student, she is an active member of the College’s TRiO Student Support Service program in the Center for Teaching and Learning. As a TRiO student, Cousineau has taken advantage of tutoring, career counseling, and cultural enrichment activities. Two years ago, Cousineau decided to give back to the program by becoming a tutor.
After completing her tutor training, Cousineau also became a skilled Course Apprentice for SVC’s Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) stretch class. The A&P stretch class allows students who could benefit from additional support and time to take A&P over the course of two semesters.
Assistant Professor of Biology, Dr. Jennifer Ufnar, teaches the A&P stretch class, and offers these words of praise for Cousineau: “Jamie developed into a peer leader, who led laboratories and proposed alternate ideas that helped the students learn difficult concepts.” Cousineau has already started thinking of ways she and Dr. Ufnar can share with next year’s LAANE conference participants what they have undertaken in the A&P stretch class.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG on Five Ways to Make College More Friendly to Vets
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community