SVC Student Jamie Cousineau Named Outstanding Tutor by the Learning Assistance Association of New England
November 22, 2013
Southern Vermont College (SVC) student Jamie Cousineau of New Haven, Vt., was named “Outstanding Tutor” by the Learning Assistance Association of New England (LAANE) at LAANE’s 30th annual conference in Greenfield, Mass.
Organized in 1983 as a regional affiliate of the National Association for Developmental Education, LAANE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to the acceptance, advancement, and improvement of developmental education through research and practice.
Cousineau is a senior majoring in Psychology and a student leader (community advisor). Portrayed as an outstanding student, she is an active member of the College’s TRiO Student Support Service program in the Center for Teaching and Learning. As a TRiO student, Cousineau has taken advantage of tutoring, career counseling, and cultural enrichment activities. Two years ago, Cousineau decided to give back to the program by becoming a tutor.
After completing her tutor training, Cousineau also became a skilled Course Apprentice for SVC’s Anatomy and Physiology (A&P) stretch class. The A&P stretch class allows students who could benefit from additional support and time to take A&P over the course of two semesters.
Assistant Professor of Biology, Dr. Jennifer Ufnar, teaches the A&P stretch class, and offers these words of praise for Cousineau: “Jamie developed into a peer leader, who led laboratories and proposed alternate ideas that helped the students learn difficult concepts.” Cousineau has already started thinking of ways she and Dr. Ufnar can share with next year’s LAANE conference participants what they have undertaken in the A&P stretch class.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin