SVC Nursing Students Present Study on Healthy Living
May 16, 2013
During the spring semester, nursing students in Southern Vermont College’s (SVC) Quest for Success section, Just Be Healthy/Be Well, studied the concepts of personal choice and healthy living. The students participated through self-reflection, journal writing, and collaborative learning experiences throughout the semester studying topics that included goal setting, life balance, nutrition, fitness, time management, stress management, healthy choices, and more. This energetic group chose to give back to the community in two different ways.
First, they teamed with SVC’s Civic Engagement Coordinator, Corie Steinke, to host an American Red Cross Blood Drive in May on campus.
Secondly, they collaborated with Erin Ingebretsen of the Bennington Rescue, Mount Anthony Union Middle School (MAUMS) Health Teacher/Coach, Ken Turn, and SVC Assistant Professor, Susan Sykas, to design and present three “Push for Life” teaching sessions for 8th grades at MAUMS. Those 65-plus eighth graders now understand and can perform the “Push for Life” steps to save the life of a teen or adult whose collapse is witnessed and who is in need of immediate help until rescue personnel arrive.
“Push for Life” is a hands-on program newly designed by the American Heart Association for the everyday citizen to provide appropriate care until emergency personnel arrive. There are only two steps after the scene is assessed: (1) call 911 for help and (2) push hard and fast at the center of the chest. This evidence-based, fast, and efficient approach to ensuring recirculation of blood in the body of the collapsed person has improved significantly the success rates of these sudden heart attacks.
SVC has two nursing degree programs: a four-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree or our RN to BSN degree program.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin