Pop Artist James Ivan Bailey Exhibit at Southern Vermont College Gallery
March 9, 2012
Southern Vermont College opened its Everett Mansion gallery with an exhibit of pop art paintings by artist James Ivan Bailey on Saturday, March 31. The Bailey exhibit, in the Burgdorff Gallery, will run until April 19. A Vermont native, Bailey currently resides in Brooklyn, N.Y., working part time for the former art director of Zoo York, a skateboard company, and founder of the Handselecta project. Handselecta is an evolving project that showcases graffiti art and artists.
Southern Vermont College Associate Professor Greg Winterhalter, who displayed the Bailey work in the Gallery, described the art: “Bailey’s art combines antique photo images adapted and enhanced by whimsical graphic elements. In addition, the show has graphic, new-wave, text images that utilize punk references. A few of the artist’s ink drawings complement the exhibit.” Mostly self-taught, Bailey said this new work was a response to the environment of New York and a “hyper-exaggerated form of a larger, American culture....” “In short, it is a response to my own disillusionment,” of today’s world, Bailey added. “It is my beam of hope, my dream of a brighter day.”
A graduate of Mount Anthony Union High School, Bailey attended Parsons, the New School for Design in New York City. He currently works full-time at Utrecht Art Supplies. For more information on the exhibit, contact Winterhalter at 802-447-6316 or e-mail email@example.com.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin