Provost Albert DeCiccio Featured Prominently at IWCA and Peer Tutors in Writing Conferences
November 17, 2010
SVC Provost Albert DeCiccio was on the dais twice recently at national and international writing conferences, representing Southern Vermont College and its commitment to academic excellence in topics of writing.
From November 4–6, DeCiccio was at the joint conference of International Writing Centers Association (IWCA) and the National Conference for Peer Tutors in Writing (NCPTW) for writing center directors, scholars and peer writing tutors.
As most recent award recipient and chair of the committee that selected this year's recipient, DeCiccio presented the International Writing Center Association's Muriel Harris Outstanding Service Award at the conference. This year’s recipient was Dr. Leigh Ryan, Director of the Writing Center at the University of Maryland.
DeCiccio moderated a session put on by peer tutors from the University of Kansas, entitled "Diversity and the Writing Consultant: Awareness, Acceptance, and Celebration.” While at IWCA, he also explored a leadership possibility for the anti-racism Special Interest Group/Caucus of the International Writing Centers Association.
He also attended an award ceremony for Neal Lerner, who received the Outstanding Book Award for his book, The Idea of a Writing Laboratory. Lerner visited SVC earlier this year to work with faculty on laboratory learning. DeCiccio, who reviewed Lerner’s book from its prospectus status through its final revisions, said the book “inspired my own thinking about the laboratory approach to teaching, which informs our current curriculum revision being funded by the Davis Educational Foundation.”
Jennifer Ufnar - Instructor, the Division of Science & Technology.
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "The Power of Small..."
- President Gross's HUFF POST Blog: "When the Buzzer Sounds..."
- Tap Dancer Shares History of Artform (Rutland Herald article)
- Mountaineers Run Past Green Mountains
- Student Jamie Cousineau Named Outstanding Tutor
- Campus Community Dinner Series
- President Gross's Article "My Turn" Can robots replace real nurses?"
- Mountaineers Shock the Country, Top Ephs (Bennington Banner article)