Jody June Schade, MA
part-time instructor, the hunter division of humanities
Everett Mansion 353
- MA, English, Roosevelt University, 2004
- BA, English, Southern Vermont College, 2000
- English Composition 101 and 102
- Effective Speaking
- Writing Lab
Southern Gothic Fiction, 19th and 20th Century American Women's Fiction, Gender Issues, Movement of Space and Time in Literature
Why I teach
I teach because I find the interaction--intellectually, socially, culturally and emotionally--that occurs in a classroom amazing. Also, when I was a student, I had the honor of being taught by an incredible group of individuals who invested in me and my education personally. I have never forgotten that gift, and I want to give that back to my own students.
My husband once said to me, "You don't read books, you inhale them." Truer words have never been spoken. A few favorites, though, would be: The Mists of Avalon, The Awakening, anything by Anne Tyler, anything by Adriana Trigiani, and Ahab's Wife.
Too many to list, but a couple of favorites would be: It Happened One Night, Mildred Pierce, the Harry Potter films, and Pride and Prejudice with Greer Garson and Lawrence Olivier.
Best part of being at SVC
I had an incredible experience as a student here. I discovered a passion for learning, met my future husband and came into my own at SVC. I want to be a part of that awakening for my own students and give to them the same gifts that my professors gave to me.
Instructor Sandra Fleischmann, MSN, RN-BC, Division of Nursing
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "When Does a College's Obligation to Its Students End?"
- Mount Anthony is First School in Vermont to Launch National College Application Campaign
- For Veterans Day, Remember: Message from President Gross
- President's Comment in CBS Moneywatch on a 3-year degree
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President
- President's HUFF POST Blog: "...Why Education is Failing Our Students"
- TIME Online "Five Best Ideas of the Day" Links to SVC Co-authored Article
- SVC Co-Authored article in INSIDE HIGHER Ed: "Graduation Shouldn't Be Endpoint"
- Asst. Prof. in Humanities Publishes Article in "Enculturation"
- CJ Class Attends Press Conference with VT Gov. Shumlin