Eileen Rice, PhD, MSN, RN
assistant professor, the Division of Nursing
Healthcare Education Center 304
- PhD, Education (with specialization in Nursing Education), Capella University, 2013
- MS, Nursing, Pace University Leinhard School of Nursing, 1982
- BA, Biology, Middlebury College, 1980
- Instructor, Division of Nursing, Southern Vermont College, 2006-present
- Health Assessment
- Bridge for Professional Nursing
- Transitions to Professional Practice
- Loneliness in the Aging Adult
- Risk Stratification for Chest Pain Patients
areas of expertise
Health care access vs. insurance company rules
Most medical conditions and treatments, including the ethics of treating low-chance-of-survival illnesses
Why I teach
Nursing can be a fulfilling occupation when approached in a thoughtful manner.
- Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling
- Little, Big by John Crowley
Best part of being at SVC
Interesting people interacting in a soul-mending environment.
November 2014 - Attended the New York League of Nursing Conference: Building Bridges, Transforming Practice, at Daemen College in Amherst, NY. The Building Bridges idea is for nurses who provide direct patient care and often have the best understanding of clinical problems but don't feel comfortable doing the research involved with helping to solve that problem. She presented a poster from her dissertation research at the Conference, which came in second. CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE POSTER.
June 2014 - Selected to be Vermont Nurse Leadership Fellow by the Vermont Action Coalition, part of Governor Peter Shumlin’s Blue Ribbon Commission on Nursing.
February 2009 - Completed the three required courses offered by Indiana University - teaching in Nursing, Evaluation in Nursing and Computer Technology for Nurse Educators. Applied to sit for the certification exam in May or June.
August 2009 - Earned the designation Certified Nurse Educator (CNE)cm after meeting strict eligibility criteria and successfully completing a rigorous certification examination developed and administered by the National League for Nursing.
June 2007 - Attended the Vermont State's Attorney's Training on Intimate Partner Sexual Violence at the Sheraton in Burlington, Vt.
Instructor and Co-Chair Tammy Kenny, MS, MST, Division of Science and Technology.
- "SVC president ends tenure with graduation"
- Nursing Chair to Serve n VT Board of Nursing Education Committee
- Criminal Justice Students Tour Albany Sheriff's Department
- "Spirit of Giving"
- Student-Athlete Advisory Committee Sponsors Toy and Clothing Drive
- Criminal Justice Students Witness the Law at Albany County Court
- President Gross's Farewell Message
- Op-ed by President Gross in Bennington Banner: "A president receives a gift"
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG: "Can Civic Engagement Help Millennials Get Jobs?"
- SPRING CLASSES
- David Rees Evans, Ph.D., Named Next SVC President