Daisy E. Levy, PhD
assistant professor, the hunter Division of humanities
Everett Mansion 353
- PhD, Michigan State University, 2012
- MA, Miami University, 2005
- BA, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Advanced Composition
- Creative Writing
academic Research/ interests
- Cultural rhetories, embodied rhetorics, performance theory, nonfiction writing
areas of expertise
Cultural rhetorics theories and methodologies, writing (poetry, essays, muti-genre), movement education/studies
Why I teach
I teach because I am curious, because I like people, and because the act of teaching helps me to feel connected to a bigger world.
- Lately, I'm drawn to Laurie R. King's Mary Russell detective series. I recently read Allison Bechdel's "Fun Home" and was transformed. I keep a copy of "Bridge to Terabithia" on my bookshelf, a leftover from my childhood, and I also have a penchant for anatomy and kinesiology books, like "Taking Root to Fly," by Irene Dowd. There's so many more, i couldn't list them all here.
I joke with people when I say I'm an easy sell, regarding movies. I like them. A lot. I'm thrilled to pieces over the latest Batman trilogy, likewise the Bourne series. I loved Meryl Streep as Julia Childs, and thought "Up" was one of the sweetest, funniest movies I'd seen in a long time. I'm also a sucker for Katherine and Audrey Hepburn flicks.
Best part of being at SVC
I have to say that the friendliness is off the charts here, and I'm glad to be part of such a thoughtful community!
highlightsOctober 2014 - Published article with five colleagues in Enculturation: a journal of rhetoric, writing, and culture: "Our Story Begins Here: Constelling Cultural Rhetorics" - http://www.enculturation.net/
Sara Diane Nolan, MSW
Adjunct Faculty, The Donald Everett Axinn Division of Social Sciences
- SVC Hosts 89th Commencment Ceremony
- Northshire Bookstore Hosts Student Authors of Publishing Series
- Sign up Now for Online or On-Campus Summer Classes
- SVC Granted Approval for Online Nursing BSN Program
- David Evans Inaugurated as Ninth President of SVC
- Introducing The Good Neighbor Scholarship for Students in Area Communities