Charles Crowell, M.A.
associate professor, The mccormick division of business; director, build the sustainable enterprise program
Bennington Center for the Arts
- A.B.D., Lancaster University, U.K.
- M.A., Goddard College, 1972
- B.A., University of Pittsburgh, 1970
- Associate Professor, The McCormick Division of Business, Southern Vermont College, 2008-present
- Director, Build the Sustainable Enterprise Program, Southern Vermont College, 2008-present
- Associate Professor of Management, School for International Training Graduate Institute, Brattleboro, Vt., 1999-2002
- Associate Faculty, Organization and Management, Antioch New England, 1993-1998
- Assistant Professor, Business Administration, Champlain College, 1989-1992
- Assistant Professor, Business Administration, Lyndon State College, 1977-1978
- Contemporary Topics in Business
- Strategic Management
- Innovation, Creativity and Entrepreneurial Success
- Entrepreneurship Lab
Contemporary management and organizational theory. Complex inquiry in virtual (Web-based) environments (capital, organizational structure, growth stage transitions, crises) of small organizations, sustainable, small-scale agriculture.
Why I teach
I don't teach. I mentor and facilitate learning.
publications and presentations
- "Handbook of Education and Corporate Training" (with J. Stevens-Long), 2002
- "Using Computer-Mediated Conferencing," OD Network Annual Conference, New Orleans, 1998
- "A critical role for telecommunications," Conference Proceedings. University of Rhode Island, 1996
- "Doing business in the new republic of Russia," interview on WCAX-TV, 1992
- "Some comment on the socio-cultural practices in contemporary Japan and competition strategies," paper presented at Champlain College, 1991
James Joyce by Richard Ellmann
Chaos: Making of a New Science by Jamed Gleick
Of Critical Theory and Critical Theorists by Stephen Bronner
Social Theory in the Twentieth Century by Patrick Baert
Riske Society by Ulrich Beck
I can never remember movie titles or the names of actors.
Best part of being at SVC
I chose to work at SVC because of its entrepreneurial spirit. I have been given enormous freedom to innovate and design a program which is grounded in professional practice, responsive to contemporary management, and second to none in terms of meeting students' interests and needs.
Professor Charles Crowell, Director of the Build the Enterprise program, recently co-authored some of the work in the second edition of The Handbook of Online Learning, by Kjeli Erik Rudestam and Judith Schoenholtz, published by Sage Publications. The Handbook is a comprehensive reference text for teachers and administrators of online courses and programs, presenting a discussion of the conceptual and theoretical foundations of online learning along with an exploration of practical implementation strategies.
Professor Crowell also published an article on June 15 on the website InsideHigherEd.com, entitled The Kindle Factor which talks the incorporation of the new technology in the BTE classroom this fall. The web article has been widely commented on and picked up by other technology-focused websites, spurred an interview with the Vermont Press Bureau and has been tweeted about! Read the article:
Susan has spent much of her professional nursing career as a teacher.
- Nursing Students Present Study on Healthy Living
- Healthcare Mgmt and Advocacy Certificate Summer Course
- SVC Hosts 86th Commencement Ceremony
- Ordering Commencement Photos & Video
- Summer Research Course on Aging and Alzheimer's
- Student Hanifah Presley and Interfaith Council Honored at VCC Forum
- President Gross Reappointed to NEBHE
- Online Registration - SVC Student Portal
- Prospective Transfer Students: New Transfer Credit Hotline
10 sports for men and women. Learn More about SVC athletics