History and Politics
(Bachelor of Science Degree)
The Bachelor of Science in History and Politics combines two traditional academic disciplines: history and political science.
The new major will focus on United States history and politics, but will also allow students the opportunity to study the history and politics of cultures and societies within geographic regions around the globe. Understanding U.S. history and politics in a global context will be a central theme of the curriculum.
The curriculum is designed to provide a traditional liberal arts survey of history and politics and will prepare students seeking a career in law and education.
Law schools today are less interested in students with an undergraduate degree in pre-law as they are in students with degrees in a liberal arts discipline such as history or political science. The development of critical-thinking skills that occurs in such degree programs is an important factor in students being able to master the law school curriculum.
The curriculum will also prepare students who were seeking teacher certification at the secondary level. A History and Politics major from SVC would position our graduates very well to complete their Social Studies Certification for grades 7 to 12. Some additional course work in social studies may be required depending on the state in which a student seeks certification. Students interested in teacher certification should contact the State Board of Education in the state in which they seek licensure.
|Program of Study||Requirements||Credits|
|General Core Requirements||48|
|(Hp402 Senior Thesis in History and Politics - Capstone)|
|History and Politics Requirements||
Choose at least two of the following:
Choose at least three of the following:
|General Electives||up to 36|
Assistant Professor Jebediah Gorham, McCormick Division of Business
- President attends National Center for Learning & Civic Engagement meeting in Denver
- Football and Higher Education: Presidents Need to Speak Up and Speak Out
- SVC Mourns the Passing of Campus Safety's Mark Poirier
- Business Faculty Member Recognized by NCAA
- NEW Computed Tomography Certificate Program
- Gregg Swain, Psy.D. and Author, Named to SVC Board
- INSIDE HIGHER ED: "The Bookstore Curriculum"
- SVC President to Return to Washington, D.C.
- Ordering Commencement Photos and DVDs