Karen Gross, J.D.
Everett Mansion 210
area of responsibility
- As President of SVC, I think my primary job is to help everyone else on campus do their job very, very well. Another way of describing my position is that I am a "door opener" and a "cheer-leader": I try to create opportunities for students, faculty and staff to succeed, and I regularly tell the institution's story and champion the many wonderful things we do for and with our students.
- Contemporary Topics in Business: Leadership
- Financial Advocacy (at New York Law School)
Consumer finance, overindebtedness, community development, asset-building in low-income communities.
Why I like working in an academic setting
I want to leave the next generation in good hands, and I cannot think of a better way of achieving that goal than working in an educational setting. I appreciate working with a group of individuals (our faculty and staff) dedicated to helping students become the leaders of tomorrow.
Ask me to pick a favorite book is like asking a parent to pick a favorite child. That said, here are my choices.
In terms of my professional development, the most influential book I have read is Carol Gilligan's In a Different Voice. In terms of fiction (and apologies to the many authors I adore), I would select Robertson Davies, The Deptford Trilogy, a series of truly powerful and beautifully written stories.
Any dance program performed by the Alvin Ailey Dance Theater, including "Cry," "Revelations," Firebird" and "Hymn."
Best part of being at SVC
I enjoy, truly enjoy, helping our students succeed--academically, athletically and through community service. The chance to help students prepare for our complex future motivates me to think boldly and creatively about the aims of education and the ways we, as an institution, can help dreams become reality.
Linda M. Lippacher, R.T. (R), (M), M.A., Director of Radiologic Sciences Curriculum.
- President Gross's Commentary in VTDIGGER.ORG on Five Ways to Make College More Friendly to Vets
- SVC to Honor Higher Ed Leader and Former Asst Secy of the Air Force at Commencement
- Sarah Dahl, M.D., Named to SVC Board of Trustees
- Sharief Hashim Heads Men's JV Basketball and is Admissions Counselor
- President Gross at Research Symposium on Student Debt
- President Gross's Article in Hechinger Report on "Ten ways to make college more friendly to veterans"
- SVC Statement on North Adams Hospital Closing
- President Gross's Article in Huffington Post, "Bringing Our Best Selves to the Table:..."
- Student Philanthropists Investing in the Community