Diversity at SVC
The Southern Vermont College community includes faculty, staff and students who, as stated in our Mission Statement, have come together to participate in:"...a transformative living and learning experience that cultivates lifelong learners in a personalized setting, emphasizes active learning and exploration, and encourages empowered citizenship and environmental sensibility."
This community has a commitment to diversity, broadly defined to include race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, religion and sexual orientation, seeking to be inclusive of all and their experiences.
The Diversity Advisory Counsel (DAC) is a broadly representative, deliberative group that meets to consider matters that concern the campus community, especially with regards to diversity. DAC seeks to foster and to model a campus environment that is diverse, welcoming, safe and inclusive. DAC serves as a broad-based advisory group so as to have a voice from students, staff, faculty and administrators.
DAC seeks to:
- Work with and advise senior leadership, as appropriate, concerning the promotion of diversity and the development of a welcoming and inclusive campus climate.
- Develop an effective means of communication about diversity issues with all segments of the community.
- Provide support for programming that focuses on issues of diversity.
We view differences not as obstacles to overcome, but as rich opportunities for learning, understanding and growth.
These opportunities for growth often are manifested in the form of events, but not exclusively so, and are meant to advance educational experiences for our community, understanding that learning is a process that happens continuously and in places beyond the classroom setting.
Jennifer Nelson, Co-Chair, Assistant Professor of Mathematics.
- Muffie Harvey Rides Again!
- Enrich Your Life Through Fall Classes
- James C. White II, Ph.D., Named Provost
- Graduates in Radiologic Sciences Receive 100% Pass Rate on ARRT Exam
- 12 Student-Athletes Receive NECC All-Conference Academic Honors
- Nursing Division Accredited by CCNE
- Remarks by Commencement Speaker/Honorary Degree Recipient/Author/professor Moustafa Bayoumi
- SIGN UP NOW FOR SUMMER CLASSES