Diversity at SVC
The Southern Vermont College community includes faculty, staff, and students who, as stated in our Mission Statement, have come together to participate in:"...a transformative living and learning experience that cultivates lifelong learners in a personalized setting, emphasizes active learning and exploration, and encourages empowered citizenship and environmental sensibility."
This community has a commitment to diversity, broadly defined to include race, ethnicity, socio-economic status, gender, religion, and sexual orientation, seeking to be inclusive of all and their experiences.
The Diversity Advisory Counsel (DAC) is a broadly representative, deliberative group that meets to consider matters that concern the campus community, especially with regards to diversity. †DAC seeks to foster and to model a campus environment that is diverse, welcoming, safe, and inclusive. DAC serves as a broad-based advisory group so as to have a voice from students, staff, faculty and administrators.
DAC seeks to:
- Work with and advise senior leadership as appropriate concerning the promotion of diversity and the development of a welcoming and inclusive campus climate.
- Develop an effective means of communication about diversity issues with all segments of the community.
- Provide support for programming that focuses on issues of diversity.
We view differences not as obstacles to overcome, but as rich opportunities for learning, understanding, and growth.
These opportunities for growth often are manifested in the form of events, but not exclusively so, and are meant to advance educational experiences for our community, understanding that learning is a process that happens continuously and in places beyond the classroom setting.
The Diversity Advisory Council meets 2:30-3:30 pm in the Presidents Meeting Room:
April 9, 2014 April 23, 2014
Assistant Professor Jebediah Gorham, McCormick Division of Business
- Business Faculty Member Recognized by NCAA
- NEW Computed Tomography Certificate Program
- VIRTUAL BOOKSTORE FOR FALL SEMESTER
- Gregg Swain, Psy.D. and Author, Named to SVC Board
- Marine Leads SVC Program for Vets
- CTL Director Named National Endowment for Humanities Scholar
- President's HuffPost on Reforming Student Loans
- Hear President Gross on Texas Public Radio re: Student Debt Options
- INSIDE HIGHER ED: "The Bookstore Curriculum"
- SVC President to Return to Washington, D.C.
- Ordering Commencement Photos and DVDs
- Tom Otero Heads Newly-Formed Women's Lacrosse Program